Costumes and Performances by Tab Kimpton

How to make a loki costume- tutorial round up!

Here’s a round up of all the How to build a Loki tutorials:

How to make a loki costume part 14- Add a pocket!
How to make a loki costume part 13- Armour attatchments
How to make a loki costume part 12- Dat Coat
How to make a loki costume part 11- Tunic (aka the chronicles of hand sewing)
How to make a loki costume part 10- Shoulder plate
How to make a Loki costume part 9- Arm Guards
How to make a loki costume part 8- Strap Armour.
How to make a Loki costume part 7- Chest and wrist armour
How to make a Loki costume part 6- Trousers
How to make a Loki costume part 5- Leg scales
How to make a loki costume part 4- Begin the flaps.
How to make a Loki costume part 3- Materials
How to make a Loki Costume Part 2- Mock up a pattern
How to make a Loki Costume Part 1- References

Go forth and make!

Found this post helpful? Share with others!Share on TumblrShare on FacebookTweet about this on Twitter

19 Responses

1. Libriel

Just wondering, how much material did it require to make? It looks like a lot. Was it?

October 17, 2014 at 7:49 pm

• Tab

There’s about 5 lambskins, 1 cow skin and 3m of green silk in the entire costume.

December 28, 2014 at 11:53 pm

2. Wafel

Hi!

I’m aiming to make a Loki costume, and I happened to stumble upon your tutorial on tumblr
    And…
    I just want to say that this tutorial series is a GOD SEND
    I was completely LOST on how to even start on the cos

ODIN BLESS YOUR SOUL YOU WONDERFUL TALENTED PERSON

October 26, 2014 at 1:43 pm

• Tab

Glad it could be of help! I’ve made 2 of these suckers now and even I stare glumly at it like ‘how… HOWWWW?’

December 28, 2014 at 11:54 pm

3. Rhea

Even adapting this to make it slightly simpler is proving to make me think “wow!” Looking forward to seeing the finished product, although it will be nowhere as polished as this. Nice job :)

January 28, 2015 at 4:43 pm

4. Miss Ratty

I have followed your costuming for awhile and I just wanted to say ‘Awesome job!’ :D

You always do such interesting and high quality work. I really look forward to seeing what you come with in the future.

March 13, 2015 at 6:55 am

5. AF

Wow! I’m so glad I found this! I’ve been wanting to cosplay Loki for a while but I had no idea where to start. Thanks for posting this.

April 14, 2015 at 12:57 am

6. Chuck Lee

Hi, I’d like to hire you to custom make one of these for me… is this possible?

May 10, 2015 at 7:18 pm

• Tab

Thank you for your interest, but unfortunately I’m closing down my commission service for now as I’m in the middle of a house move and won’t have a workshop during the move period.

May 11, 2015 at 2:47 pm

• Cassandra

Would you be willing to commission any of these at this time? or in the near future?
        ONce your house move is done?

May 28, 2015 at 3:37 pm

• Tab

Sorry, I’m only accepting sewn commissions at the moment, I don’t know when I’ll have workshop space again!

May 31, 2015 at 11:02 am

7. Cassandra

May 28, 2015 at 3:37 pm

8. Emmett

Hey. this cosplay is wonderful, but I was curious about the boot covers. Could you do a tutorial for those? Please and thanks. ^.^
    Keep up the great work!

June 18, 2015 at 8:00 am

9. Hadashi Cosplay

This is truely an awesome cosplay.

I have a question (two actually): How much money did you spend on this and do you mind to scan your patterns like you did with the armor? This would be really helpful ^^

Thx

October 23, 2015 at 9:33 pm

• Tab

I think the leather+resin for this came to about £500 in the end- not cheap stuff!

February 24, 2016 at 9:37 pm

10. Tess Warren

Hello! I am just getting into cosplay, and have been wanting to create a Loki costume for quite a while now. But have never had the guts to do it.

I have no clue what I am doing with this and have asked some of my friends and family to help me. Do you have any tips/tricks to all of this?

(I realize that the Loki cosplay is super,super,super complex and that it probably isn’t the correct choice to use as my starting point into all of this, but I would like to try.)

February 22, 2016 at 1:59 am

• Tab

Hardest bit is just starting! Break it down into small pieces- try making the boots first and see how you do before you tackle larger bits. Every large project is just a series of smaller steps.

February 24, 2016 at 9:39 pm

11. Lily

How much silicon should I expect to use for this costume (for all the molds)?

Also: for the leg scales, if I used liquid latex instead, would it change anything in process/steps for making it (other than things like drying times and such)?

March 15, 2016 at 10:05 pm

• Tab

I used about 1kg. I think using latex would be much easier but you might get some paint flaking over time due to them stretching.

March 15, 2016 at 10:40 pm