Costumes and Performances by Tab Kimpton

How to make a loki costume part 12- Dat Coat

Here’s how the coat came together step by step:

First things first, I cut the lining out of the dyed noile silk. The pattern was taken from the mock up I sent the client- you can see me adding the seam allowance to each piece as I go.

I got a very sunny day in the work room- here’s the lining sewn together. I embroidered my logo on the nape because it’s pretty and interfaced the collar to give it some support.

Here’s the lining with the collar sewn on and tested over the tunic.

The pattern was then cut down into further parts. The back was hard to get references for so I guessed most of the way, but this is my best estimate for what it looked like in the film.

Here’s all the pieces carefully arranged on a leather skin. Leather doesn’t have a grain (though you do need to watch out for patterns and random holes) so you can work it until you make the most of a single skin.

I made sure to include snip marks to match up the pieces exactly later. Everything is very carefully labelled including direction marks so I know which way up the piece goes!

Here’s the leather cut out including all the shoulder pieces. The shoulders were cut from the patterned leather and edged in a line of plain black.

The back of the shoulders have a weird little cape bit going on- here they are cut out of the green.

I keep all the pattern pieces arranged on the floor and sew each bit together, checking they fit as I go.

Tricky corner seams but they look soooo good so I left it in.

The collar and front were constructed as one big bit then sewn together at the shoulders.

The lining pinned to the body- this is the same technique often used on waistcoats. I sew along the front and around the arms leaving the sides and bottom free to turn it out.

Turned the right way out- victory!

The base of the coat looks something like this.

The back middle seam is left free ready for the shoulder pieces.

Then I sew the flaps to the bottom like this. With all the metal bits I’d describe the experience similar to battling Doc Oc.

Testing the shoulders to see if they fit properly. These were cut from the patterned leather and then backed with black EVA foam.

Using contact adhesive to glue the shoulder leather to the foam.

I secured the leather down again with some rivets. I love rivets, more cosplayers should use them.

Shoulders laid out flat- they look wrinkled but you have to take into account that they’ll be curved over the shoulders.

Rounded out they look something like this.

Hand stitching the back of the lining to the flaps inside.

Lokiprogress89 Lokiprogress82

AND THE COAT IS DONE- next finishing the armour!

Found this post helpful? Share with others!Share on TumblrShare on FacebookTweet about this on Twitter

17 Responses

1. NuttyDounuts14

I was just wondering how much you are charging your client? If you could email me a quote that would be great.

March 9, 2014 at 5:31 pm

• Tab

Sure, just email me at with your shipping location and what version and I’ll get back to you.

March 22, 2014 at 5:28 pm

2. Do you do commission s on loki costumes

March 22, 2014 at 5:01 pm

• Tab

March 22, 2014 at 5:28 pm

3. Rex

Sent you an email regarding a quote to the uk. Seriously interested in commissioning you :D take my monies!!

April 24, 2014 at 2:10 pm

4. Lumina

I was wondering if you could explain in detail how you made the shoulders, and attached them to the coat? I’m considering making a ‘lady Loki’ cosplay, and need to know if I can do this too.. Your tutorial is very helpful, thank you!

June 12, 2014 at 2:27 am

• Tab

The shoulders are made from a layer of thick EVA foam in black (basically craft foam but a little bit thicker) and the leather is stretched out over the top of it and glued down. I then cut a slit in the coat and fed them through, then sewed it down through all the layers.

June 18, 2014 at 1:13 pm

5. vicki

I am in love with this loki costume how much would it cost to create one?

September 23, 2014 at 9:29 pm

6. greenlemonade333

Hello. I do not speak english too well. Could you please let me know what you mean by commissions? Do you mean you’re selling the costumes? If so, the how much will it approximately be? Thank you :)

October 31, 2014 at 11:41 pm

• Tab

Thank you for your interest, but unfortunately I’m closing down my commission service for now as I’m getting ready to move house and won’t have a workshop during the move period.

November 3, 2014 at 2:16 pm

• greenlemonade333

Do you believe you’ll be able to renew the commission service before the end of next year? I’m considering this as a halloween costume and the only reason I cannot complete this myself is because of lack of equipment :/

November 3, 2014 at 9:19 pm

• Tab

I think I’ll be focusing more on sewn costumes for that exact reason!

November 12, 2014 at 12:09 pm

7. Loki Lover

Could you post a PDF or something regarding pattern sizes and also what size is the one you made here? Many thanks :)

May 21, 2015 at 6:39 pm

• Tab

Unfortunately no- this pattern was made by making a white version of the costume and drawing the pattern over it, it would vary for every person!

May 26, 2015 at 11:00 pm

8. Gina

I know you’ve likely answered this elsewhere on your site, or still have no idea, but in the off chance that you do… Do you think you’ll be starting up your commission service again by this year? I’d really like to get a Loki coat for Halloween, and while there are many talented cosplayers (I am not one who can sew, unfortunately), your Loki costume is the one I want. ;__; It is superb.

June 1, 2015 at 12:11 pm

9. Elle

I was just wondering where you got your zip tops? I’m making this costume at the moment and that’s the only thing I can’t find. Is there a place online that sells them?

July 13, 2015 at 1:01 am